Emily is a pastry chef who specializes in gluten-free and vegan desserts. She has been creating delicious treats for over 10 years and loves experimenting with new ingredients and flavors.
Adjusting traditional recipes to make them vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free can be a fun and creative process. Here are some tips and alternatives to help you get started.
Let's Unravel the Basics of Vegan, Gluten-Free, and Dairy-Free Diets 🌱
First off, it's important to understand what these dietary restrictions mean. A vegan diet excludes all animal products, including meat, dairy, and eggs. Gluten-free diets avoid gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. Dairy-free diets exclude all dairy products, such as milk, cheese, and butter.
Ditching Dairy: Your Guide to Dairy-Free Baking 🥛🚫
Many recipes call for dairy products, but luckily, there are many alternatives available. For instance, you can replace cow's milk with almond milk, coconut milk, or soy milk. If a recipe calls for butter, you can use coconut oil or vegan butter substitutes. For cheesy flavors, nutritional yeast is a great option.
Eggs-actly How to Substitute Eggs in Vegan Baking 🥚➡️🌿
Eggs can be a bit trickier to replace as they serve different purposes in recipes. They can be used for binding, leavening, or adding moisture. Depending on the purpose, you can use a variety of substitutes such as mashed bananas, applesauce, flaxseeds, or commercial egg replacers.
Going Gluten-Free: Easy Swaps for Gluten-Free Baking 🌾🚫
Gluten provides structure and elasticity in baked goods. When going gluten-free, use alternatives like almond flour, coconut flour, or gluten-free all-purpose flour. Xanthan gum or guar gum can also be added to these flours to mimic the elasticity that gluten provides.
Deliciously Decadent: My Favorite Vegan, Gluten-Free, and Dairy-Free Desserts 🍪🍰
Now that you know the basics, let's move on to some examples. Here are a few of my favorite gluten-free vegan recipes and dairy-free and gluten-free desserts that you can try at home.
Vegan, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free Chocolate Chip Cookies
You will need:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flaxseed meal and water to create a flax egg. Set this aside for about 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour in the flax egg and stir until the mixture is well combined.
- Fold in the dairy-free chocolate chips.
- Drop spoonfuls of the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
These cookies are best enjoyed fresh, but they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.
This recipe uses almond flour, coconut oil, and flaxseeds to create delicious, chewy cookies. The chocolate chips are dairy-free, making this a perfect treat for anyone following a vegan, gluten-free, or dairy-free diet.
Vegan, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free Banana Bread
You will need:
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas until smooth.
- Add the applesauce, vanilla extract, and melted coconut oil to the mashed bananas. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the gluten-free all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture, stirring until just combined.
- If using, fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
This banana bread is delicious on its own, but you can also spread it with vegan butter or drizzle it with a little maple syrup for extra flavor. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or freeze for longer storage.
For this recipe, ripe bananas and applesauce replace eggs and butter, while gluten-free all-purpose flour is used instead of regular flour. The result is a moist and flavorful banana bread that everyone can enjoy.
In a Pinch? Check Out These Store-Bought Vegan and Gluten-Free Treats 🛒
If you're short on time, there are many store-bought options available. Just make sure to read the labels carefully to ensure that they meet your dietary needs.
If you're short on time, there are many store-bought options available. Just make sure to read the labels carefully to
Get Creative! The Joy of Experimenting with Vegan, Gluten-Free Baking 🎨🍴
Organic Low Carb Flours Bundle - Organic Almond Flour, 1 Pound and Organic Coconut Flour, 1 Pound - Non-GMO, Kosher, Vegan, Great for BakingOur Recommendation
Garden of Life Coconut Oil for Hair, Skin, Cooking - Raw Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil, 27 Servings - Pure Unrefined Cold Pressed Oil with MCTs for Body Care or Baking, Aceite de Coco Organico
Blue Diamond Almonds Blue Diamond Almond Flour, Gluten Free, Blanched, Finely Sifted, 48 ozOur Recommendation
Parachute Naturalz Virgin Coconut Oil | 100% Organic Cooking Oil, Hair Oil and Skin Oil | Cold Pressed | USDA Certified |16 Fl. Oz
Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil 15 fl oz, Cold-Pressed, Unrefined Cooking Oil, Natural Hair Oil, Skin Oil, Massage Oil, USDA Organic, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Aceite de Coco)
Nature's Eats Ultimate Nut Flour, Almond, 16 Ounce
Nature's Eats Blanched Almond Flour, 48 Ounce (Packaging may vary)
NOW Foods, Almond Flour with Essential Fatty Acids, 5 g Carbs per Serving, 22-Ounce (Packaging May Vary)
Anthony's Organic Almond Flour, 1 lb, Blanched, Gluten Free, Non GMO, Keto Friendly, Extra Fine, Low Carb
PURA D'OR 16 Oz Organic Fractionated Coconut Oil - 100% Pure & Natural USDA Certified Cold Pressed Carrier Oil, Scent-Free - Aciete De Coco Liquid Moisturizer For Face Skin & Hair, Men & Women
Amazon Brand - Happy Belly Organic Refined Coconut Oil, 30 Fl Oz
Mandelin Grower Direct Pure Natural Almond Flour with Skin (1 lb), Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Vegan, Keto, Plant Based Diet Friendly, Kosher for Passover, Every Batch Tested for Quality
BetterBody Foods Naturally Refined Organic Coconut Oil with Neutral Flavor and Aroma, Non-GMO, Cooking Oil, 56 oz
Carrington Farms Gluten & Hexane free, NON-GMO, No Hydrogenated and Trans Fats in a BPA free bottle, Liquid Coconut Cooking oil, Unflavored, 16 Fl Oz
Viva Naturals Organic Coconut Oil, Cold-Pressed - Natural Hair /Skin Oil and Cooking Oil with Fresh Flavor, Non-GMO Unrefined Extra Virgin(Aceite de Coco), USDA Organic, 16 oz
Nature's Way Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Pure and Unrefined, 62% MCTs, 16 Oz
Fisher Almond Flour, 32 Ounces, Naturally Gluten Free, No Preservatives, Non-GMO, Keto, Paleo, Vegan Friendly, Unblanched, Super Finely Ground, natural
365 by Whole Foods Market, Organic Refined Coconut Oil, 14 Fl Oz
NOW Foods, Organic Almond Flour, Superfine, Blanched, Certified Non-GMO, 16-Ounce (Packaging May Vary) (Pack of 2)
Mandelin Grower Direct Blanched Almond Flour (5 lb), Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Vegan, Keto Plant Based Diet Friendly